Re: "Segment Violation" reported by Squid

From: Alastair Johnson <alastair@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 19:21:03 +1200 (NZST)

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Duane Wessels wrote:

Hi,

> When you get an assertion failure, it gives you a source file
> and a line number. Please share those with us!

The assertion failure is "client_side.c:1194: "size > 0"".

> When you get a Segment Violation, you might get a coredump.
> If not, you should TRY to get a coredump. See the FAQ at
>
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-11.html#ss11.19

I tried all suggestions listed there, and it just would NOT coredump.

However, we may have found the problem. The machine which was crashing every
30 seconds, I tried changing the port it listened on. All of a sudden it was
stable. So I did a little transparent redirect on our router (we do
transparent proxying) to divert port 8080 to 8181, and it started becoming
unstable and segfaulting again.

So, we set up a test machine. We pointed all traffic at that, and it was
stable, whilest stealth kept crashing. We then pointed all traffic back at
stealth, but changed the proxy.win.co.nz A record to point to the test-bed
machine's IP address, and stealth became stable, and the test bed one became
unstable.

After playing around with the cachemanager ACLs, it looks like somebody has
been exploiting a loophole in it which was causing squid to dump. We locked
it down so nobody was able to use it, and it's stable now.

A very perplexing problem.

Regards,

Alastair.