Re: Urgent!!! Intranet Authentication

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 00:01:32 +0200

David Rodríguez Alfayate wrote:

> I'm using Auth Proxy to limitate the access of the users to a series of
> Internal Web Services (pre-pay services, ...), it works fine, the problem
> arrives because i don't know if my Internal Web Services can know de user-id
> of the user that is accessing its pages. It's really necessary (perhaps I
> could send a cookie from Squid, but I don't know if this is possible).

You can use a redirector to add authentication to the requests sent by
Squid.

Squid understand the following extended URL syntax for HTTP:

http://username:password@host/path

Squid redirectors have access to the URL, IP, ident lookup and
authenticated username of the requestor.

Please note that anyone with access to Squids cachemgr functions may be
able to see the passwords encoded in such redirected URLs, and that this
busts caching (the objects get cached on their redirected names, which
is unique for each user).

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker