Re: Overriding Pragma: no-cache from servers

From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:57:42 +0200

On Fri, Sep 10, 1999 at 09:46:47PM -0400, David S. Madole wrote:
> I see by looking at the code that objects with a "Pragma: no-cache" tag
> are made unconditionally non-cacheable, even though that's not a valid
> header coming from a server. I would like to be able to override this,
> has anybody looked at good ways to do it? I almost pulled it right
> out, since it shouldn't been happening anyway, but I got rational and
> didn't.
I feel with you here. I have investigated today why on earth browsing
tomshardware.de never produces a single hit -> this server sends
"Cache-Control max-age=0" with every response...

(It's IMHO ok to try to get more hits for ads or other banners but to
force everybody to fetch every little icon and every html-file over
and over again is plain stupid.)

> Specifically, I get 70,000+ TCP_MISSes on 6-7K objects from weather.com
> every day, and none of them ever change, but they all com tagged with
> "no-cache". I wouldn't mind saving the 50 megabytes/day by assigning
> these requests some kind of refresh rule instead. I don't necessarily
> mind doing the code myself, but am looking for ideas on how to do it
> cleanly.
Best way to do this "refresh_pattern", say
refresh_pattern -i ^http://.*.weather.com 60 30% 1440 reload-into-ims

The numbers and options are just examples, you'll have to figure out
yourself what fits your needs best. The "first mach wins" rule is quite
usefull if you want to create a more sophisticated ruleset.

--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.