Re: configure docs

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1999 12:35:20 +0200

Milos Prudek wrote:

> is there a documentation available for ./configure? I'm interested in
> various options like --enable-delay-pools and such, and generally what I
> can do with configure.

configure --help is a good place to start. All configure options
understood are listed there.

For more detailed information on the base configure options (all except
--enable/disable) see GNU autoconf documentation.

For more detailed information on the Squid specific --enable/disable
options see various parts in the Squid FAQ and/or src/cf.data.pre (the
definition of all possible squid.conf options, of which some is only
used if enabled in configure).

For Squid configure does three things:

1. It selects paths where things are to be installed. (--prefix,
--exec_prefix, --bindir, --libexecdir, --localstatedir, --sysconfdir).
Default prefix is /usr/local/suqid/
2. It runs various system tests to find out what is supported on your
platform. Most of these tests can be overridden by setting environment
variables (like ac_cf_func_statvfs) if configure picks up the wrong
result for your system. For a complete list of variables, see
config.cache after running configure.
3. --enable/disable can be used to at build time selectively
enable/disable features in Squid.

For some platforms where configure fails to detect what kind of system
your system is you may have to use --target= to a system type which
resembles your system.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker