Re: What is the capacity of a Squid server?

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:15:02 +0200

At 10:32 29.09.99 -0400, Bill Delphenich wrote:
>company LAN. I have a Caldera Linux v2.2 test server running Squid and
>IP Masquerading and I have a few users accessing the Internet with it
>just fine. [...] Is it asking too much to
>send 25 or 30 users through this server every day, including some fairly
>sizeable FTP uploads and downloads? Should I be looking at something
>more "industrial-strength"?

This depends largely on your hardware of course, but 25 to 30 users
seem like a very small load. I am running Squid on a rather small
Linux server (one Pentium II/266 processor, 128M RAM, two 4.5G UW-SCSI
disks) which at the same time serves as a DNS, mail, and news server,
all for about 100 users, with no complaints.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)