Re: What is the capacity of a Squid server?

From: Michael Sparks <michael.sparks@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:26:06 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Bill Delphenich wrote:

> I am considering using Squid as my proxy server for HTTP and FTP for my
> company LAN. I have a Caldera Linux v2.2 test server running Squid and
> IP Masquerading and I have a few users accessing the Internet with it
> just fine.
>
> My concern is the maximum capacity of this server. I haven't been able
> to find any information about this anywhere. Is it asking too much to
> send 25 or 30 users through this server every day, including some fairly
> sizeable FTP uploads and downloads? Should I be looking at something
> more "industrial-strength"?

An aging document on what various people us is at:

   http://wwwcache.ja.net/Surveys/TopLevelCacheServerSurvey.html

It was compiled by Martin Hamilton way back in the mists of 1997! (if
anyone is on that list and wants their entries updated, please feel free
to contact us via our addres on our website :-)

Personally I think an unmodified installation of Linux with the squid RPM
may be able to handle the workload of 25-30 users - ie what you've got
now. A tuned linux box with enough memory/disk can easily be made to
handle more than 2.5 Million requests per day - assuming you have the
bandwidth available.

Michael.

--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195