Re: Squid creating files as root

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 10:37:48 -1000

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 02:55:44PM +0100, Steve Gailey wrote:
[...]
> > cache_effective_user nobody
> > cache_effective_group nogroup
> >
> > and squid mostly creates its cachefiles with this ownership but
> > sometimes squid creates file as owner root.
[...]
> I didn't see a reply to Franks message and now I am experiencing
> the same problem.
>
> I am starting Squid (on Solaris 2.6) from /etc/init.d (rc3.d) and have
> experienced exactly the same behaviour. The Filesystem is Veritas
> and all was fine for the first three days. This Sunday evening, with
> little or no activity the system started reporting:
>
> storeSwapOutFileOpened: Unable to open swapfile: /cachea/ca...
> (13) Permission denied
>
> The only thing I can think of is the first restart for squid since
> installation (it's a Netscape upgrade).

  Did you do a restart or reconfigure? They're not the same. The
safest way to change full configuration is to shutdown and restart.

> I have two such Squid machines and both are exhibiting the same
> behaviour. Also, ps shows the (squid) process running as nobody
> sometimes and root at others.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

  A couple people (including myself) have found that squid can engage
in bizarre behavior relating to process owner, permissions, etc., if
you run squid as a user which can not read its own squid.conf file and
then use the "reconfigure" signal to it.

  In place of running squid as nobody/nogroup, you might find it easier
to manage if you create a squid user with its own user and group. Then
you can either launch it from root if you need to keep squid with a low
port number, or (preferred) always start squid as the squid user and
squid group so it need not change euid/egid.

  (One indirect moral: when you first start introducing a proxy to your
testers or users, announce it on a high port number if possible.)

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.