Re: Squid creating files as root

From: Steve Gailey <Steve.Gailey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 08:16:58 +0100

We start squid from the system start-up and later from cron(root). I
suspect that the problem may have been caused by the cron
restart which does a -k shutdown and then calls -k check until it
has gone, then restarts it.

I have looked through the code for 2.2.4 (we also have patches to
use SmartFilter from Secure Computing) and can't find any
enter_suid without a matching leave_suid. Watching the process
with ps shows that the process actually becomes root for extended
periods, minutes at a time.

We don't use async I/O.

Steve