RE: Problems with choosing faster parent cache!

From: Daniel E. Visbal <daniel.visbal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 12:28:45 -0500

I have the same situation here, and it's working for me:

Compilation with:
./configure --enable-icmp --enable-snmp --enable-htcp --enable-cache-digests
--disable-ident-lookups

squid.conf at proxy0 (proxy for users)
cache_peer proxy1 parent 80 3130 closest-only
cache_peer proxy2 parent 80 3130 closest-only

Do not forget to setup:
# If your peer has configured Squid (during compilation) with
# '--enable-icmp' then that peer will send ICMP pings to origin server
# sites of the URLs it receives. If you enable this option then the
# ICP replies from that peer will include the ICMP data (if
available).
# Then, when choosing a parent cache, Squid will choose the parent
with
# the minimal RTT to the origin server. When this happens, the
# hierarchy field of the access.log will be
# "CLOSEST_PARENT_MISS". This option is off by default.
query_icmp on

If query_icmp is enable, did you see the CLOSEST_PARENT_MISS in the log.

I do not use proxy-only, because I believe that having the local cache with
the info it's better than always fetching it from his parent.
I have not setup weight because with icmp enable, the one from data will
retrieved it's the one with the CLOSEST (best timing) connection.

Also I do not use no delay because I have not enable --enable-delay-pools.
I do not have any use for it.

I do not remember why, but I have to not use --enable-forw-via-db.

On my connection proxy1 is connected to a cable-modem and proxy2 use a
router to 2 ISP at 64K.

Hope any hints in here can help.

Daniel E Visbal