Re: Am I the only person getting these...

From: Sascha Schumann <sascha@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:05:23 +0200

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 07:26:19PM -0600, Alex Rousskov wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, David J N Begley wrote:
>
> > ...when posting to squid-users?? This has been going on for days now.. I
> > think it's safe to assume this guy isn't legitimately on the list anymore and
> > can be removed.
>
> You are not the only person; any _poster_ may get these. The list software
> will most likely remove that person automatically after a few bounces.
> Simply delete the bounced message if you get it. It is much easier and
> safer to delete a bounced message than to manually maintain the
> subscription list. And, again, the list software will eventually delete
> bouncing entries.

    That assumes that the bounce message goes to the list
    software. However, some software is broken (mostly vacation
    scripts) which do not send replies to the envelope sender
    address, but rather to the address in the From: header.

    Such emails don't get to the list software, and thus are not
    considered as bounces.

    That is especially funny on large mailing lists. I posted
    once on NTBugtraq (+30000 subscribers) and got a few hundred
    vacation messages (in about a dozen languages and various
    charsets).

    If possibly, the list moderator should be informed about
    this. If you cannot figure out the address of the subscriber
    who causes the bounce, forward the complete email.

--
          Regards,
                            Sascha Schumann