Squid not spreading cache files

From: Steele, David S <Daves2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:04:11 -0500

I'm having a problem with Squid placing files in the cache directories.
Despite using the default configuration, Squid is placing all of the cache
files in the first cache directory (/var/spool/squid/00/00, or whatever it
is). Once there, the files are never found (hit ratio stays at zero).

The test configuration is squid running locally, accessing a single parent
proxy on the firewall. I've used versions 2.2S1 through 2.2S5 on two
different boxes running both RedHat 6.0 and 6.1, all with the same behavior.

I can find nothing in the FAQ or archives about this, but its gotta be
something obvious. Any ideas?