Re: RE: IE 4 && HTTP/1.1 through proxy

From: T. Esting <t_esting@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 06:22:02 PST

  I'm fairly certain that HTTP/1.1 is supported, since squid performs
server-side persistent connections (see the cachemgr screen) which, as far
as I recall, were not possible with HTTP/1.0. In
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Pipeline.html, we read:

 HTTP/1.0 opens and closes a new TCP connection for each operation. Since
most Web objects are small, this practice means a high fraction of packets
are simply TCP control packets used to open and close a connection.
 [...]
 HTTP/1.1 leaves the TCP connection open between consecutive operations.
This technique is called "persistent connections," which both avoids the
costs of multiple opens and closes and reduces the impact of slow start.
Persistent connections are more efficient than the current practice of
running multiple short TCP connections in parallel.

I'd say that this is, at the very least, good anecdotal evidence that squid
really is doing HTTP 1.1 and persistent connections. Even if it turned
around HTTP/1.1 requests from its clients into HTTP/1.0 requests to its
servers, I still think I could get tremendous performance improvements from
having true persistent connections on the client side.