Re: high CPU usage

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 23:02:10 +0100

¤ý²Ð¦t wrote:

> Dear sir:
> if i mount cache file system in async mode , does this can improve
> disk I/O performance.
> like this:
> /dev/da4s1e /cache5 ufs rw,async
> 2 2
>
> if i complie squid with async-io and mount my cache file system in
> async mode.
> Dose we can get better performance..

What OS are your using?

Generally speaking turning on async features in the filesystem will
increase Squid performance provided you have some memory to spare.
However the details very much depends on your OS.

As for async-io it very much depends on what OS you are using. Not all
OS:es have posix compatible kernel threads which is a requirement for
Squids async-io implementation, and not all who have does it properly.

async-io is to my knowledge mostly tested on Linux-2.2/glibc2.1 and
Solaris. Some people have reported varying sucess using HP-UX 10.
async-io is surely a no-no on FreeBSD.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker