Re: Squid and RH6.1

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben.farrelly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 08:56:35 +1100

Hi Carol,

At Monday 10:50 AM 29/11/1999 -0500, CarolB wrote:
>Something very simple is going wrong, but I'm too new to Llinux to catch it.
>
>I have taken the following steps:
>1. Installed squid using rpm -e
> -squid installs, although in a different directory pattern than the
> faq recommends

rpm -e actually uninstalls a package - did you mean rpm -i
perhaps? (-i installs)

>2. Edited the squid.conf to look approximately like the sample (am
>wondering if my problem is in this script edit ... if I do nothing, will
>squid -z just use the 'default' values?)
>
>3. Typed squid -z
> -caches created, and logs
>
>4. looked to run RunCache & -- can't find it anywhere. sigh.

Run this one:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid start (you can also use stop instead of start;
simply omit the word start to see a list of options)

If you want to make squid start up on boot every time, run ntsysv and
put a star next to the box which says "squid".

I'm assuming that you are running the Redhat RPM of squid, btw. Other
RPM's may be slightly different.

Reuben