Re: modify time from squid (not browsed server)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 01:43:16 +0100

Miroslaw Gawenda wrote:

> After modify of page and pressing the refresh on browser I getting the old
> page, but only if I using transparent cache. When I using normal cache (ie
> when I set browser to use proxy) this never happens.

HTTP is not designed to be transparently cached. Part of the cache
validation which takes place between the browser and the proxy cache is
only defined when talking to a cache (i..e manual proxy configuration).

Of the browsers used today it is only IE prior to 5.01 (I think) which
pays attention to this. Netscape sends the same of cache validation
controls even when not talking to a proxy.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker