Re: squid uses too many processes

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 15:47:16 -1000

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 11:51:08AM +1100, jem wrote:
> hey ummm... could someone pls give me some help with squid. i had it
> working before, but lately i have been getting 'no data' errors while
> using netscape, even though i installed squid from an rpm and then
> used squid -z.
>
> i also noticed that squid starts off with about 5 processes... but my
> linux box crashed last night because there were so many. at one time,
> there were over twenty 'squid' processes when i looked.
>
> what's wrong here???

  I don't know, but it's major.

  You should never have more than 2 squid processes (one to do the work,
and the other to be a watchdog and restart it.)

  Are you using inittab or something like that to start it? If so, it
could be getting mixed up since current Squid backgrounds itself
properly to run as a daemon.
  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.