Re: "Predictive" caching

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 10:27:39 +0800

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 07, 1999 at 07:29:36AM -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:
> I think maybe you want to talk to the Skycache or Pushcache people.

No service in this part of the world for Skycache AFAIK.

Looks good that Pushcache is GPL, I'll take a peek at what it can do...

> The Skycache offering works exactly like what you describe - they log
> miss/fetch requests from their clients all over the place, and then
> feed the most popular ones out via the satellite link to the
> pseudo-cache-server they've placed to peer with yours, so the hits get
> stuffed into your cache before your users request them.

As I said in a previous post, this is where I got the idea =)
If we do make some code to enhance this it'll be open source too.
(gotta get up to speed, haven't written Squid code in two years...)

> I don't know if they can hit the Philippines with their satellite,
> though. You'll have to talk to them.

Not yet. And I'm looking at something slightly different. Skycache
continuously pushes the web stuff in, since the customer has a terrestrial
line for most other stuff. In our case the sat link is the primary line,
so we have to avoid congestion. Also looking at multicast delivery
(hmm, web objects via UDP...?)

---m

--
Miguel "Migs" A.L. Paraz	            IPhil Communications Network, Inc.
http://www.iphil.net        Business Development/Network Architecture/Training