Re: Please Help! We are disappointed!

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:08:30 +0100

naimi wrote:

> We want to have sites like www.cnn.com, www.ft.com etc. to be refreshed
> regularly. Unfortunately these sites don't use the appropriate META tags at
> their pages ( like www.nytimes.com or www.sony.com ).

Use the refresh pattern
refresh_pattern . 0 0% 0

This will cause Squid to validate any cached objects without any
explicit expiry time prior to sending them to the client.

When you are confident in how Squids refresh patterns work, begin adding
refresh_patterns to add more aggressive caching for content you want to
have more aggressively cached.

> For example we purged www.cnn.com from the cache and after
> that we add the " refresh_pattern -i cnn 1 20% 3 "
> to squid.conf to have the squid refresh the object after 3 minutes.

The min age should never be other than 0, unless you know what you are
doing.

> but all these things failed. We turned on debug_level 22 to monitor refresh
> calculations but the result were very confusing.

In what way?

> Unfortunately most of our users use IE4.0 as their browser and squid doesn't
> responds to IE Refresh command.

Sounds like you are running Squid as a "transparent" proxy. TCP
redirection of port 80 to a HTTP server is not supported by HTTP (or TCP
for that matters), and it is by far the magic tool which solves all
problems, even if some network equipment marketing guys seems to want
people to think so.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker