Re: Please Help! We are disappointed!

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 09:58:55 -1000

On Sun, Dec 12, 1999 at 06:08:40PM +0330, naimi wrote:
> Hi all,
> We have a problem with squid that has made us completely disappointed of its
> functioning.
> We want to have sites like www.cnn.com, www.ft.com etc. to be refreshed
> regularly. Unfortunately these sites don't use the appropriate META tags at
> their pages ( like www.nytimes.com or www.sony.com ) .

I don't know about ft.com, but cnn.com seems to work just fine with the
standard configuration if you don't alter the initial refresh patterns
in the default squid.conf file. Be sure to enable the recommended acls
for no_cache of queries (match "cgi" or "?").

> We have tried a lot of different things: from no_cache tag to
> hierarchy_stoplist and different refresh_patterns. For example we
> purged www.cnn.com from the cache and after that we add the "
> refresh_pattern -i cnn 1 20% 3 " to squid.conf to have the squid
> refresh the object after 3 minutes. but all these things failed. We
> turned on debug_level 22 to monitor refresh calculations but the
> result were very confusing. Unfortunately most of our users use IE4.0
> as their browser and squid doesn't responds to IE Refresh command.
> Our boss is really angry and have asked me angrily to solve the
> problem. But I have no more ideas. Is there anyone who can help us?

Instead of enabling transparent proxy (which is what this sounds like)
turn off transparent proxy and try debugging it first with browsers set
to the explicitly configured proxy, then set up a proxy script, and
point users to that.

Once you have everything debugged and working well, *then* is the time
to think about enabling transparent proxy.

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.