RE: ftp proxy

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:01:37 +0100

At 14:38 13.12.99 +0100, Martijn de Munnik wrote:
>When I read the squid docs it says : "Squid is a high-performance proxy
>caching server for web clients, supporting FTP, gopher, and HTTP data
>objects. Unlike traditional caching software, Squid handles all requests
>in a single, non-blocking, I/O-driven process." So it seems to me it
>supports ftp doesn't it...

It supports precisely what the text you cited says it does:
FTP data objects. The requests for these FTP data objects must
come from the client as HTTP requests, which is just what your
ordinary garden variety browser does if you tell it to use a
proxy for FTP. In order to fetch the FTP object, Squid will of
course talk FTP to the server.

In other words, Squid supports FTP (the protocol) towards the
server, but not towards the client.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)