Re: Configuring Squid 1.1.22 For Use With MSN Messenger / MS Netmeeting

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:54:58 +0100

At 14:40 13.12.99 +0200, Shaun Mumford wrote:
>We have just installed squid 1.1.22 on redhat linux 5.2, and it is
>working well.

Any particular reason why you chose to install an obsolete version?

>I would like to use MSN Messenger from a machine on the network, and
>would like to know how to configure squid
>to allow it to get through. I also need to know what if any proxy config
>to use in MSN messenger.
>
>A second issue is if it is possible to use netmeeting to connect through
>squid with someone who has connected via a dial up
>connection, and therefore has a 'real' ip address.

Squid is a caching HTTP proxy, not a firewall, so there is no notion
of "allowing" anything "to get through Squid" except in the context
of explicitly forbidding certain accesses by inserting appropriate
ACL entries in Squid's configuration file.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)