Re: New Installation has no erros but is not working

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 10:21:54 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Anthony L. Sollars wrote:

> My problem is whenever I configure netscape 4.7 correctly, using the
> squid box's IP address and port 3182, netscape just times out and says
> "There is no response. The server could be down or is not responding".
> Standard error for netscape being unable to connect. I still see no
> errors in the log files after trying this. Does Squid require Linux's
> DNS system to be configured and running, because current;y I do not
> have this setup for we use a different dns server. Thanks for any
> help.

Squid does need to be able to resolve DNS names. You should be able to
just tell your Linux machine where it can find your DNS server; try
putting an entry in /etc/resolv.conf.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781