Help - Cache on a dial-up line

From: R.A. Jenkins <raj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 12:17:32 -0000

Hi,

I'm trying to get squid running on a machine using dial-on-demand (via
Diald) to an ISP and IP Masquerading to allow access from several machines
on a local network.

The dial-up system works fine on it's own, but obviously having a cache on
my local network would give a drastic speed boost over the '56k' modem
connection.

I've tried numerous times to get this to work, but every time I start Squid
& put in the proxy settings on the main machine I work from (Win98/IE5) I
loose access to the ISP.

I have tried 'from scratch' starting from the example config file with
various permutations, I have also tried re-installing the whole system,
without any better success.

I would have thought that this application of Squid would be very popular,
but having searched by every permutation of words I can think of, I can't
find any references to it.

Please can someone who has experience with running squid let me have a basic
config file for this application, or at least some pointers to what is
needed.

Robert A. Jenkins
mailto:raj@jrw.co.uk