Re: Help - Cache on a dial-up line

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben.farrelly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 23:52:02 +1100

Hi Robert,

I have a fairly basic setup with a Linux box as a gateway, with squid
running on it. It has an ethernet card to the rest of my network, and uses
the PPP interface to allow my network to get out to the rest of the
world. I am also using NAT/IP masquerading. It's a fairly simple setup
but it's relatively secure and very reliable.

It's a bit tricky to understand from your explanation though what is the
gateway machine, and where squid fits in on the network. It sounds like
you may have a problem with routing somewhere along the line - have you
looked into this at all?
Do you see any error messages in your cache.log or /var/log/messages
(var/adm/messages?) What does a traceroute out from your workstation look
like...and will everything work ok when squid is not running and no proxies
set on the workstation?

As for a squid config, well the default config should work with a minor
amount of editing - at least to get squid functioning, but there are no
special tricks to allow it to work over a dialup link or dial on
demand. Some people have however experimented and use the "offline" mode
of squid (there's an offline_mode tag in squid.conf) so that when your link
is down, squid won't validate any objects, but I'm not sure if this is of
any use to you.

Reuben