Implimenting a URL access list

From: Jason Thompson <jthompson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:14:06 -0000

Hi All,

Our present squid setup requires all users to enter a password before they
can access any pages on the Internet. I have been asked to impliment a
system where a certain list of sites can be accessed without a password.

For example we would like to allow access to www.bbc.co.uk without having to
put a password in. Whilst maintaining the password access for anyother
sites.

In effect we are trying to create a very small walled garden for Year 7-9
students to access as part of thier IT lessons.

The list of URLs needs to be in a seperate file so it can be easily updated
with having to touch squid.conf

I have three questions.

1. Could someone assist me with the required ACL and http access config
lines to make this work.

2. If we have a seperate file for the URLs using an ACL, will squid re-check
the file everytime the user makes a request? or will you have to restart
squid everytime you update the list?

3. If there is a better way of doing this, please can someone tell me.

Thanks all for your help

Jason Thompson
IT Technician
Allerton Grange High School