Re: Telstra says "(squid infrastructure) not Y2K ready"

From: cougar <cougar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:26:04 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, David J N Begley wrote:

> It's quite possible that the person(s) running Squid for Telstra left, and
> their replacement didn't have a clue so they recommended that the
> infrastructure just be replaced - hey, it's happened before...
>
> Who cares, anyway?! They're like any really large organisation looking to
> decouple their infrastructure/services from the people who run them (so as
> staff changes occur, service delivery can continue).
>
> Connect claims to have Australia's largest/busiest cache anyway and they're
> using Squid:
>
> http://info.connect.com.au/docs/proxy/config.html
>
> Many other "large organisations" (though obviously not as much traffic as a
> tier-1 provider) are still deploying Squid proxies.

Guys, Girls ...

Is there a point to this discussion? Is squid-users an appropriate forum
for it?

The "Who Cares" statement above by Mr Begley sums is up quite neatly, and
is the only accurate statement pitched in what otherwise appears to be a
"let's slag Telstra just ... one .. more .. time ... ugh!".

Squid is great and should remain the mainstay for much time to come. I
don't want to start another slinging match, but there is a lot to be said
BOTH pro & con for appliance technologies when it comes to the Internet.

There's MUCH more to be said FOR free-spirit enterprises such as the Squid
support group, but as Mr Begley and others have pointed out, this doesn't
give the large organisation's management folk a target for the requisite
finger pointing when things don't work.

Note that plug'n'play does NOT equal plug'n'stay (up!). And on the topic
of cost, you don't get any change out of A$200K for a NetCache, even when
you buy a dozen!

Anyone who wishes to take up this topic with me OFFLINE, feel free to
bounce me a message ...

Cheers,

J.

                     _______
| John V Cougar __ Big | Voice: 61 2 6208 1683 |
| Telstra Internet \/_/ \ Direct | E-Mail: cougar@telstra.net |