Re: Telstra says "(squid infrastructure) not Y2K ready"

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 14:14:09 +1100 (EST)

Earlier today, David wrote:

> Telstra is australias biggest ISP and ICP. They have replaced the Squid
> infrastructure with a new proxy system. I dont know what it is.

Their new infrastructure is described here:

  http://www.direct.bigpond.com/proxy/proxy.cfm#proxyarchitecture

It's quite possible that the person(s) running Squid for Telstra left, and
their replacement didn't have a clue so they recommended that the
infrastructure just be replaced - hey, it's happened before...

Who cares, anyway?! They're like any really large organisation looking to
decouple their infrastructure/services from the people who run them (so as
staff changes occur, service delivery can continue).

Connect claims to have Australia's largest/busiest cache anyway and they're
using Squid:

  http://info.connect.com.au/docs/proxy/config.html

Many other "large organisations" (though obviously not as much traffic as a
tier-1 provider) are still deploying Squid proxies.

Cheers..

dave