Re: browser keeps prompting for authentication.

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 01:27:53 +0000

Think about this: A no-authentication required page (say a frameset) includes
other authentication-required objects (pages in frames, as an example, or images
or whatnot).

Browser parallelises the fetches to some limited degree. Each one comes back with
a 401 Authentication Required, and the browser dutifully pops the box up for it.
Each and every time. If the authentication dialog was application-modal, the
username and password would be available for at least some of the subsequent
requests, and the user wouldn't be prompted much further.

This also happens if the encapsulating page is in a different authentication
domain to it's children.