Re: Linux and WCCP?

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 12:53:32 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Glenn Chisholm wrote:

> > "Download the Linux WCCP module and compile it as you would any Linux
> > networking module."
>
> Problem here is that the syntax for building kernel modules
> changes for different versions of the kernel, so a command line would be
> rather useless. I will write up a method of working out a command line and
> add it to the FAQ.

Fair enough - thanks.

> > It would be great for people like Mark if brief instructions could be
> > included, or a link to a page with instructions - I can't help as it would
> > appear that WCCP requires kernel 2.2 and we are a 2.0 shop here.
>
> I have never tried it on a 2.0 kernel but there is no magic. You
> should be able to get something working with some effort.

The immediate problems I ran into were the following header files:

linux/init.h
linux/inetdevice.h
net/ip.h

I don't see these anywhere on my 2.0.38 system, although I have
netinet/ip.h - I can't tell if this is the same ip.h referenced in
ip_wccp.c.

As you say, there is probably a way around this, and I'll look further -
however, it is quite probable that someone else reading this has more
experience in this and can just tell you what the necessary steps are
under 2.0.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781