Starting automatically with user squid

From: Davies, Kevin <kevin.davies@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:36:59 -0600

Dear Squiders,

I have an issue with the RunCache method I would like to raise
for discussion.

Normally the method to start and stop an application under
Unix is the /etc/rc.* or /etc/init.d/rc.* link fest.

The RunCache script does not lend itself to this method
of starting and stopping the server. First, if you kill
RunCache, squid does not always go down. You end up having
to kill RunCache and Squid to take the service down. On
the other hand you want the re-execution facility provided
by the RunCache script in case squid dies.

If putting squid in the inittab is the neat solution to this
can I suggest we make it the defacto method for the install
and add the smarts to squid to alert people if it feels
its restarting to often.

Just my two cents

Kevin