Re: Third and Forth Question

From: Brett Lymn <blymn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 16:19:48 +1030 (CST)

According to Abid Latif Sheikh:

>So I am here with the THIRD and FORTH QUESTION. My second question is
>still unanswered.

You need to be careful - you are relying on the good will of others to
answer your questions, pushing for answers may be unproductive or make
people downright hostile. The answer to the automatic configuration
is that you need to write a .pac file that contains javascript that
will direct your browsers to the appropriate proxy. Again, there is
some information in the FAQ about this. You will need a web server
(e.g. apache) to serve the .pac file for you (modulo the clever hacks
that were talked about last week that is)

>Q3. I want to log the USER NAME (or id) whenever he or she makes a
>connection with the Internet through my SQUID box. How can I do this

You need to set up authentication to do this. Check the FAQ, it has
some guidance on how to set up authentication.

>Q4. I want to configure my ICQ and MIRC clients through the Squid Box.
>Should I use SOCKS4 SOCKS5 ? What port should I give for these services ?

Unknown