Re: Documentation for Squids SNMP OIDs

From: Max Dittrich <Dittrich@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:17:52 +0100

Dear Andreas and anybody else

> Hello *.*
        ^^^ really DOSy

> We are using MRTG to observe Squids performance. Up till now we have
> only looked at the HTTP In/Out traffic but would like to widen our
> statistics.
> Now, I have a list of the Squid OIDs (from:
> http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/Statistics/mrtg/mibdefs.pm) but you
> never really know what these polled values then actually are.
>
> E.g. cacheDnsSvcTime: what EXACTLY does that give you. The average dns
> service time of a squid request? In what ... ms? This would sound
> sensible to me, unfortunately the values I get (an average value of 6,
> maximum of 103) do not match with the values of my cache manager which
> displays milliseconds.
>
> I guess what I want to know is if there is a better documentation for
> MRTG running on Squid. Is there? Anybody know?

Not now, but when i started monitoring squid with mrtg, I was
disappointed about documentation too and so I monitor only five values.

My Suggestion:

Next week I have some vacation and I will set up some webpages where
anybody can comment the values defined in the mib.txt. I will announce
this in the Mailinglist later.

...Max
<mailto:Dittrich@zrz.TU-Berlin.de>