Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Kendall Lister <kendall@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:41:35 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000, Emmanuel Keller wrote:

> this seems to work because Squid doesn't cache the objects but on the Web
> server (Apache), the host which access the server is always the proxy.
> so in squid.conf I wrote :
>
> acl wwwintranet dst 10.1.4.39
> no_cache deny wwwintranet
> always_direct allow wwwintranet
>
> but this doesn't seem to work. The host which accesses the intranet
> web server is always the proxy server and not the true hosts.

Well, that fact that this 'always_direct' option is part of Squid should
tell you something - for it to come into play, the request must have
already gone to Squid, at which point it's already too late. Always_direct
is to prevent Squid from using a parent or sibling cache.

Squid will send along some kind of header with each request that allows
your web server to identify both the proxy and the original client itself,
but you'll have to wait for someone more knowledgeable than me to explain
how to harness that.

--
 Kendall Lister, Systems Operator for Charon I.S. - kendall@charon.net.au
  Charon Information Services - Friendly, Cheap Melbourne ISP: 9589 7781