Re: newbie - ftp clarification please

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 23:56:51 +0200

Pat Lendon wrote:

> 1. What are the ftp capabilities with Squid (is it limited to
> uploading/downloading files?).

Squid can get files and/or directory listings in ascii or binary (only
files) format (GET HTTP method, gatewayed to CWD and RETR/LIST/NLST in
FTP)

It can also put files in ascii or binary format (PUT HTTP method,
gatewayed to CWD and STOR/STOU in FTP)

As part of the process for putting files on the FTP server it also
create directories if required (MKD).

For file retrivals resumed binary downloads are supported if the server
supports REST.

> 2. Are there any concerns or security issues with ftp thru Squid?

Same concerns as always. Any passwords are in plain text and Squid logs
a quite detailed trace of who is doing what. Also, going thru a proxy
hides the users real IP address and email.

> 3. Am I correct in assuming that since ftp of files is thru http, that
> I can not deny all ftp sites and just allow a few? (I'd have to deny
> all http and allow a few url ftp sites, or get an actual ftp server).

You can deny/allow at a file level if you so like, and even give/deny
some people access to specific files. Squids access rules is all about
the URL you have in your browser window (well, actually the URL your
browser requests from Squid, if this is the URL shown or not is another
issue), and the user requesting that URL.

> 4. If anyone is using the ftp proto, how have you setup the
> squid.conf file for ftp?

Squid does not support the FTP protocol from the clients. All clients
connecting to Squid must proxy the request using HTTP.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker