simple question about expires and pragma no-cache

From: <dean.scothern@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:19:13 +0100

Hello,

I've seen a lot of sites that use meta expires and pragma no-cache in their web
pages, and what I would like to know is how this affects caching behaviour, in
squid and in the client. More importantly I would like to know how to cache
these pages in a sane manner. I thought pragma no-cache was supposed to defeat
caching, the way things are going most of the web will be uncacheable! I know
that there are options that are in squid that will allow caching to take place,
but will break rfcs. I'm trying to bootstrap myself here, so what is the best
way (tm)? Any help will be greatfully appreciated.

Regards and Thanks

Dino