Re: Similtaneous connections

From: Martin Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:00:41 +0100

At 17:27 20/04/00 +1000, Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
>Hello,
>does anyone have any idea, how many similtaneous connections to squid is
>possible,
>in a pretty generic setup.
>It appears that when we have around 300 similtaneous users hitting the
>proxy it seems to really slow down with a P3-600 256meg ram, 18gb SCSI
>Cheatah 10,000 rpm disk.
>Is it a squid limit or a hardware limit, or could there be any
>configuration issues to help deal with this
>thankyou
>Jim

Hi Jim,

I used to run a squid proxy for @500 users on a p2-233 with 64mb RAM and I
found the limit there tended to be around 150-175 concurrent connections
before things started slowing down.

I think this is an OS problem rather than a Squid issue directly. I did
find, though, that there's a couple of things you could try to maybe speed
things up. These worked for me, and may not work for you at all :)

1) I stopped using Squid's own DNS resolver and made it use a small
dedicated nameserver box connected via a 100mb link.
2) I moved the cache directory onto a disk with formatted with reiserfs.

This seemed to help a little but, as I said, may have no effect for you.

Good luck :)

Martin A. Brooks
The package said Windows NT 4 or better - I installed Linux.