Re: anonymize_headers doesn't work for all headers

From: Peter Reif <gal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:59:54 +0200

Juri Haberland wrote:

> Hello squid users,
>
> while I played with the "anonymize_headers" settings with Squid 2.2s5 I
> stumbled into the bug reported by Jean-Gabriel Dick on 11. Feb. 2000.
> Though he encountered the problem with Squid 2.3s1 I assume that it is
> also in 2.2s5.
> Can someone confirm this?
>
> I also encountered problems in dropping some headers with
> "anonymize_headers deny ..." while others worked as expected.
> Specifically the "Via" header and the "X-Forwarded-For" but also the
> "Accept-Language" headers didn't work, though they are defined in
> src/HttpHeaders.c.
> I know that there is a special directive for "X-Forwarded-For", but I
> need to completely drop it.
>
> Is this a known issue or news to everyone?

I had the same problem in 2.2, but it works for me in 2.3.STABLE1 and I
read something in the Changelog that they solved the problem for unknown
headers:

---
        - Fixed an 'anonymize_headers' bug that affects unknown
          HTTP headers.  With the bug, if you list a header that
          Squid doesn't know about (such as "Charset"), it would
          add HDR_OTHER to the allow/deny mask.  This caused all
          unknown headers to be allowed or denied (depending on
          the scheme you use).  Now, with the bug fixed, an unknown
          header in the 'anonymize_headers' list is simply ignored.
---
My configuration:
anonymize_headers deny Via X-Forwarded-For
$ squid -v
Squid Cache: Version 2.3.STABLE1
Grüße,
Peter