access.log <--> store.log

From: Jayakumar Srinivasan <jas188@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 00:25:31 -0600 (CST)

Hi,

On Squid/2.2.STABLE5, I am trying to get a grip on the meaning
of the following lines from the access and store logs.
I can understand the first entry in each (an object is being
fetched after a TCP_MISS). After which storelog assigns the
file number 000012A7 to this object.
Now, for the second entry, why is there a FFFFFFFF file number
for the same object and why does it get 'RELEASE'd while in fact
it is a valid entry in the proxy cache and the accesslog shows
it as a TCP_REFRESH_HIT/200?
Similar concerns on the third and fourth entries as well...
Could somebody explain?

Note that the file sizes in store log are set to 0/0 for
all the entries except for the first entry....
even though access log shows 15164, 215, 15164 bytes being
transferred. why?

Also it is TCP_REFRESH_HIT/200, TCP_REFRESH_HIT/304, TCP_REFRESH_HIT/200
in access log while it is 304, 304, 304
in store log...
why the difference in HTTP status codes for 2nd and 4th entries?

*** I grep'd the next and previous 10 days of both the logs and
couldn't find any other entries for the same URL. ***

Also when I grep'd for 000012A7 in the store logs, the file number
was being used to refer other URL's within the next few days...
even though there was no such entry as "RELEASE 000012A7".
So does Squid starts re-using the same file numbers even before
the relevant objects are deleted from the cache?
Or, is it that; the store log does not log *all* the
deletions / removals from the proxy cache?

Would appreciate any info on trying to understand and correlate
entries in both the log files....

access.log:
954770125.925 573 ClientA TCP_MISS/200 15168 GET http://www.visafric.com/news/News_April2000/when_all_else_fails.htm - DIRECT/www.visafric.com text/html
954781562.963 1371 Modem-id1 TCP_REFRESH_HIT/200 15164 GET http://www.visafric.com/news/News_April2000/when_all_else_fails.htm - DIRECT/www.visafric.com text/html