Re: A couple of questions

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:46:11 -0600

On Wed, 3 May 2000, --==[bolMyn]==-- wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I've been to FAQ, but it did not answer all the questions I had:
>
> 1. Can I forward request to Squid to a remote proxy (and how, please). In
> Apache it's done quite simple but it seems to me that performance of Squid
> is better for this.

In Squid you specify a parent cache with the 'cache_peer' option.
Also see http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/Hierarchy-Tutorial/

> 2. I am currently looking for a product that would enable me to re-direct
> abusive users of streaming media, for example, to a warning page. I can
> also do it in Apache with re-writes and re-directions. I can also use
> pattern matching in Apache. Can I do the same in Squid?

In Squid we call this 'redirectors'.
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-15.html

> 3. Ideally, I'm looking for something (which I think Squid now cannot do)
> that would enable me to shut people down based on how much bandwidth they
> use a day. Let's say, I want to say 10Mb per 8 business hour (or per day).
> If a user exceeds that number, my imaginary proxy would re-direct such a
> user to a warning page and such a user could not use his browser for
> browsing the Internet until next day. I don't even know if this is possible
> and how that could be done, especially when I come to think about complexity
> of the checks.

Squid has "delay pools" that control how much Internet bandwidth classes
of users can consume. Its for cache misses only. Cache hits are always
sent as fast as possible.

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-19.html#ss19.8
(but it might be a little out of date for squid-2.3)