FYI - Re: Problem starting squid FIXED!!!

From: Andrew Barnes <andrew.barnes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 12:19:16 +1000

G'day Guys,

Thanks to all who replied with assistance to my problem. It wasn't a
permission problem though!

What I found out was that for some reason, if I fed my browser (using the
proxy server) an IP address, it worked... but if I gave it the actual name
(eg. www.microsoft.com), then squid bombed out with the original error...
and DNS problem perhaps?

Well... I found the following web page which while not exactly answering
my problem, seemed to be leading somewhere!

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.3/bugs/index.html#squid-2.3.stable2-USE_DNSSERVER

So... I installed the patches, recompiled (using the
"--disable-internal-dns" configure option), reinstalled, used my already
configured squid.conf file and hey presto - it worked!!!

So again, thanks to those who replied, and for anyone with the same
problem, try this out :-)

Regards,
    Andrew Barnes