Variable caching times?

From: Network Administrator <foxje@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 03:48:07 +0000

Hello.

I am new to squid, and am still in the testing phases. I work at an isolated
research facility in Antarctica and we have limited internet access via
satellite. What I would like to do is have whatever web pages that are
cached from the previous pass available to my users while the satellite is
down (I guess this would mean an expiration time of 12+ hours) and then
shorten it to something like 5 minutes when we have connectivity.

I could run a script via cron to rewrite the config file and force squid to
re-read it whenever we gain/lose the satellites, but I wondered if there was
a more elegant solution? I am running 2.3 stable 2 on Solaris 7. Thank you.

--jenny

Jennifer L. Fox
Network Administrator
Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, Antarctica