Re: Variable caching times?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 18:18:27 -0600

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Network Administrator wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am new to squid, and am still in the testing phases. I work at an isolated
> research facility in Antarctica and we have limited internet access via
> satellite. What I would like to do is have whatever web pages that are
> cached from the previous pass available to my users while the satellite is
> down (I guess this would mean an expiration time of 12+ hours) and then
> shorten it to something like 5 minutes when we have connectivity.
>
> I could run a script via cron to rewrite the config file and force squid to
> re-read it whenever we gain/lose the satellites, but I wondered if there was
> a more elegant solution? I am running 2.3 stable 2 on Solaris 7. Thank you.

You might want to use the 'offline_mode' feature when the
satellite is down. When 'offline_mode' is on, Squid should
never try to contact an origin server. It would give cache
hits for everything.

With 2.3.STABLE3 you can toggle offline_mode via the
cache manager. For example:

        % client mgr:offline_toggle@SECRETPASSWORD

Duane W.