Re: Transfer cache from one server to another.

From: cougar <cougar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:29:11 +1000 (EST)

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Dave Wilson wrote:

> Ok the time has come for use to move our proxy server to a new box.
> Is it possible to leave our old box running and then some how copy the cache
> onto the new box?

It's a questionable practice, 'though some may consider that there is
value in prewarming a cache with popular objects, copying an entire cache
may result in a lot of IMS requests and purging when the cache is made
live. Remember, roughly 60% of all cached objects are typically only ever
referred to once!

It's just this point, I suppose, that stops this question getting on the
FAQ, 'though it's been asked often enough to warrant it.

AFAIK, the only real way to copy a cache is to get your new cache to query
all of the objects via the old cache, using an automated process based on
recent access logfiles, and a tool to execute the fetch (something like
wget will do it) via the proxy. Be sure to configure the caches using the
guidlines presented in:

 http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-19.html#ss19.9

Of course, you may not want to PURGE the old cache ...

There may be other ways people have tried ... anyone?

Cheers,

J.

                     _______
| John V Cougar __ Big | Voice: 61 2 6208 1683 |
| Telstra Internet \/_/ \ Direct | E-Mail: cougar@telstra.net |