Can't get WCCP on Linux to work with 2600

From: Darrell Van Rensburg <darrell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 22:26:11 +0800

Hi,

I have been following threads on getting WCCP module working on Linux with a

pair of Cisco 2621's in a HSRP group.

We have installed RH 6.2 and compiled wccp.c with the same command line as
the system itself uses when doing a make modules ie

gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -fno-strength-reduce
-m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586 -DMODULE
-DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.2.14/include/linux/modversions.h
-c -o ip_wccp.o ip_wccp.c

It compiles fine and when doing a modprobe ip_wccp there are no errors but
the module
doesn't appear to load. Not sure if "telnet squidbox 2048" should answer
but certainly
nothing my end "connection refused".

Also on the Cisco end have configured external interface (one connected to
internet) for
WCCP however turning on debugging doesn't show any messages at all. I
assume this
is because the WCCP on the Cisco is smart and can't find a WCCP host to
redirect to.

Do we need to recompile the Kernel with specific options for the WCCP module
to work.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Darrell...