Re: Extremely Transparent Proxy

From: Mark Pleasance <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:15:26 +1000

on 1/6/2000 8:32 AM, Henrik Nordstrom at hno@hem.passagen.se wrote:

> Diegmueller, Jason (I.T. Dept) wrote:
>
>> So is there any "clean" way to implement an almost INVISIBLE proxy server?
>> Perhaps do bridging between the "outisde" and "inside" iterfaces, but still
>> have the ability to hijack requests to TCP port 80 and deliver them to
>> squid?
>>
>> Has anyone done anything like this before? If so, do share. If not, think
>> I'm on the right path? Does this sound feasible?

We use a SonicWall router. It has the ability to 'hijack' the requests and
deliver them to a proxy without the user having to do anything. I know it's
not free but it works. http://www.sonicsys.com

>> I'd just like to implement a squid proxy WITHOUT having to redesign a lot
>> of things (and in the process piss of the systems team). I considered doing
>> a route-map on the Cat5505's RSM but when I was playing around with that
>> yesterday load went through the roof (this is an awfully busy Catalyst).

They make a 10Meg and 100Meg version of the product, it still may not cover
what you want but it's worth a look.

Mark

Mark Pleasance mark@crc.vic.edu.au
Computer Tech/Network Administrator