Linux Optimization fro Squid proxy

From: Sébastien LETARD <SLETARD@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 20:31:41 +0200

Squid users,

We are using heavy loaded squid proxy, and I would like to know what you think about these settings for PIII 500MHz, 512Mo, (no cache, just proxy)

[root@proxy bin]# ulimit -a
core file size (blocks) 1000000
data seg size (kbytes) unlimited
file size (blocks) unlimited
max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
stack size (kbytes) 8192
cpu time (seconds) unlimited
max user processes 256
pipe size (512 bytes) 8
open files 1024
virtual memory (kbytes) 2105343

Which are the defaults for root on my linux box.

I want to increase max-file to 32768, max-inode to 3*max-file and compile again both the kernel and squid, but I do not know if the other parameters are enouhgt ?

Could you tell me more, before I start to compile everything again ?

Thanks.