using UDP echo for ICP

From: T. Esting <T_Esting@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 07:37:11 -0700 (PDT)

  The squid.conf suggests using UDP port 7 for neighbors. Does the same
logic apply for parents? I have the following config:

cache_peer par1 parent 8080 7 no-digest no-netdb-exchange
cache_peer par2 parent 8080 7 no-digest no-netdb-exchange

When par2 is down or not responding, I would expect it to eventually be
marked down by squid (I'm running 2.2.S5). Instead, I see the following:

Parent : par1/8080/7
Flags : no-digest no-netdb-exchange
Address[0] : 10.200.164.93
AVG RTT : 11 msec
LAST QUERY : 10 seconds ago
LAST REPLY : 10 seconds ago
PINGS SENT : 3
PINGS ACKED: 3 100%
FETCHES : 3 100%
IGNORED : 0 0%
Histogram of PINGS ACKED:
        ICP_MISS : 3 100%
keep-alive ratio: 0%

Parent : par2/8080/7
Flags : no-digest no-netdb-exchange
Address[0] : 10.164.164.193
AVG RTT : 0 msec
LAST QUERY : 10 seconds ago
LAST REPLY : 10 seconds ago
PINGS SENT : 3
PINGS ACKED: 0 0%
FETCHES : 0 0%
IGNORED : 0 0%
Histogram of PINGS ACKED:
keep-alive ratio: 0%

Even though no response from par2 is received (I checked with tcpdump :-),
squid seems to think the parent is alive (at least it realizes that pings
have not been acked).

  So... does configuring a parent with UDP echo imply something different
than a sibling?

  Thanks for any help you can provide.

  T.E.