Re: memory question

From: Noah Sutherland <noahs@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 09:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Bert Driehuis wrote:

> Well, the cache_mem is just what's set aside for "hot" objects (requested
> often, or actually in the process of being downloaded). Squid uses more
> memory than just cache_mem, in particular: there's a direct relation
> between the size of your disk cache and Squids memory consumption.

Is there any reference known to show this relationship? So far I've seen
lots of statements like "make sure you have enough RAM to balance your
disk cache", but nothing to say what kind of formula to use to calculate
that properly.

Sincerely,
Noah Sutherland Regional Technical Supervisor - Internet On-Ramp
noahs@ior.com

To get my PGP public key, please email to noahs-finger@ior.com
or you can get it at BAL's public key server at http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/