Caching dynamic Webpages

From: <MProell@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:02:52 +0200

Hi,

I've got the following problem:
We've got a dynamic webpage with about 60.000 Pageviews a day, hosted on an
AS/400. The problem is that every request causes a request on a database
which has a result time of 1.8 seconds.
The second problem is, that the database is only updated every 12 minutes.
The third problem is, that we can't do any changes on the webserver, which
could help us to make the page faster. (At least we don't know any...)

The webserver generates a new page for each request. We wanted to cache
this pages with squid in accelerator-mode and make him to reinitialize
every 12 minutes after each update of the database.

But it seems that squid is looking for each request on our webserver to see
if there is a new version. And the webserver generates a new page and tells
him that there is a new document in the http-header. So the expire-html-tag
doesn't work.

Did anyone had the same problem than we have? Or does anyone know a fast
and reliable solution for that problem?

The fact is that we are migrating on a new engine but that takes time (for
approximatly two months). So it should be a solution which doesn't take too
much time to make the web-frontend looking faster.

Thanks for your help,

Manni