RE: smb_auth

From: Terry Singleton <terry@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:50:18 -0600

very cool, you are right it is all on your website, thanks for your
response.

I am curious what the overhead is in doing these operations, i.e. If we have
hundreds of outgoing authentications once someone is authenticated is there
still overhead and resources used on the server? somewhere the
"authentication" of a user must be cached somewhere so that they do not have
to continue to auth with every REQUEST.

The reason I ask this is that we a firewall reseller and the firewall we
use(watchguard) seems to bottom out at 50 users authenticated(it also
supports NT auth and is a linux based firewall) however I am hoping to
bypass that problem by using smb_auth and having users use SQUID(which will
also increase performance).

I would just hate to recommend this to clients and find out that there is
some bottleneck that limits the number of authenticated users to 100 or so,
I am hoping we can do several hundred. Where would the limitation be SAMBA?
smb_auth? SQUID?

thanks for the response and all your hard work.